Friday, February 17, 2012

Plants and Things

I read this week about the 'Ene'io Botanical Garden in Tonga. It is located on Vava'u and has the most diverse collection of plants in Tonga. The garden contains 500 plant species and is privately owned, but tours are given. Hopefully I'll be able to make a trip to this garden to see what plants of Tonga are included there. It's very likely that some plants will have medicinal uses and that the people who own the garden can tell me more about them.

Lately I've also been more interested in understanding the social impact of natural healers in Tonga. I'm sure its minimal, but I think there may be a subtle psychology that takes place behind the scenes. Because of our focus on social interactions in class, I've been forced to think about how interactions in a Tongan village might be affected by the tradition of natural healing.

While looking for articles on this specific subject, results were surprisingly minimal. On one hand, this could be beneficial in that I would have an entirely unique project. On the other hand, I'd have nothing to go off of. All in all, I'm sure that I'll stick to my original project and study plants. I just hope that I'll be able to incorporate some social aspect as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment