Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Land is Everything.

This week in my Environmental Biology class we've been talking about underdeveloped countries and their impact on the world. As you might think, they have nearly no impact on the environment, while developed countries in North America and Europe have a huge effect. If I can step on my soap box for a moment, it's important to consider the fact that with all of our industrialization, we are quickly destroying what is left of the natural Earth. Granted, we are all (including me) very reliant on things like cars and paper and computers. I don't think shunning everything man-made is the answer, but I do think there is something to be said about those who live in underdeveloped countries, those who we might look down on.

I've been thinking a lot about lifestyles in Africa or South America. The people there are accustomed to dirt roads, tiny crumbling houses, and open air markets. But they plow the land with their own hands, they know everyone in their village, and they understand how things grow and develop. They are connected with the land and the culture and each other in a way I do not always feel connected to people in America. Yeah, we go to the same school, we dress the same, we speak the same language, but we have not struggled together. We have not been integrated into each other's lives through marriage and births and deaths like the people of India or Tonga or Africa have. These are people who have struggled against constant and suffocating poverty, but who seem to be in harmony with the Earth, and in a way that makes me very jealous.

I'm wary of making the arrogant mistake of pretending that these people are better off than I think they are. No, I think they're lives can be considered difficult enough. But so are all of our lives, depending on the context, which I suppose is a discussion topic for another time. I guess what I really want to learn from Tonga is how to live in a world that doesn't rely on computers and cell phones and cars, but instead on gardens and people and culture. I think that the people of Tonga are connected in a deep way that I  get a small glimpse of when I'm with the best of friends or immediate family. They are lucky to understand each other so fully. Maybe I'm only making an assumption based on the few things I've seen, but I think they understand the Earth in a way that Americans do not. In our Tongan language class, as I mentioned before, we talked about the kava ceremony. Sione asked us what the kava represented. "The land," we told him. "Yes," he said, "The land is everything to a Tongan."

3 comments:

  1. Really liked this post!:) It will be interesting to go and experience their lives as most live without computers, cars, or TVs. In planning my first trip there, I wasn't excited to go because I heard there were no movie theatres, no shopping mall, and no village inns. By the time we had to leave Tonga I didn't want to go. There's something about the land, the people, and their lifestyle that just makes you want to stay! Three more months!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it great when things you learn in other classes apply to your field study? Its definitely exciting to go to another culture and see what things are of value to them. Studying plants and landscapes brought up the value of land in nearly every instance. I heard lots of people tell me the land really is everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I loved this post - I am a wildlife conservation major and I think about these things a lot. It is sad that America is supposed to be so civilized and well-developed and yet we are destroying land and causing pollution. We are so disconnected from the land - where does our food come from? I don't even know! And another issue is that developing countries are trying to play catch up, which means ruining their land too, instead of using the more sustainable methods their ancestors might have used. It will be really cool to live someplace less industrialized and see if it really is as great as we fantasize it to be.

    ReplyDelete