Thursday, January 19, 2012

I travel, therefore I am.

Recently I had the privilege of talking to my friend Cameron about his views on travel and the things that he has learned from exploring the world. Because I have never been anywhere besides the continental U.S, I thought talking to someone like him would compliment what we have been learning about in class.


When I asked him what he learned from traveling, his first response was that most people are essentially the same even when separated by culture or location. They laugh at the same jokes, they like to party, and they all enjoy music. He told me a story about a Bedouin camel herder in Jordan named Ahmed. He invited them to go camping in the desert, and while there the camel herder pulled out his cell phone and played "Heya" by Outkast. Although I had already had the notion that people in the world have the same wants and needs, it was fascinating to learn that they also have many of the same interests, and hearing it from someone who had experienced these things made the similarities more real to me.

The thing I'm the most scared of is that I'll keep too much to myself instead of interacting enough with the natives. But Cameron says that one of the most vital things to a successful experience abroad is to get outside of your comfort zone. I hope that I will be able to do this in a new country with new people. During my preparation for Tonga, the idea of traveling to a different country has struck me with a variety of fears, aspirations, and reservations. I know that I am not outgoing, nor do I ask people to teach me things. However, an experience in Tonga will continue to teach me lessons of independence that I have begun to learn here at BYU. Cameron says that traveling and reading are the two most educational things that anyone can do. While I may not be thoroughly convinced of this idea, I am willing to test it for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment