Sunday, January 22, 2012

Why a Field Study?

During Fall semester, I talked to one of my friends about my plans to study in Tonga. He asked me how much it would cost, and when I told him, he said it wasn't worth it. He said that I could go almost anywhere with the same amount of money and do a lot more things. I thought about that, had doubts for a while. But as I continue to attend my Field Study Prep class, I learn that a field study is not about how for I travel or what adventures I go on. On Friday we discussed the purpose of a field study. My field study has turned into a bigger investment of time than a few weeks in a different country. I think that this field study in Tonga will define the rest of my college career and have huge repercussions on what I do after graduation. I'm gradually realizing what a big deal this is and how worth it it will be because of this class.

Ashley asked us why the research we were doing in the field couldn't be done in a library. I had to think about that because the Harold B. Lee Library has a surprisingly large number of books on plants in Tonga. As I thought about this more, my idea for a project evolved a little bit. I want to focus more on the actual plants, and less on comparing traditional healing to westernized medicine. I want to know how the active ingredient in each plant works, and hopefully learn the practice of preparing these medicines. Unfortunately, I'm worried about having a project that repeats research that has already been done, but for me it will be brand new.

I think that what our class is trying to get us to see is that Field Studies are not all about discovering new concepts in medicine, or studying the relationship between people and plants. They are about understanding different people, why they do the things they do, and trying it for ourselves. Those are things you cannot uncover by visiting the library.

Note: I also thought about how to get over my fears of being shy when I get to Tonga. I decided that I have to start here in Provo by saying hi to people I don't know or asking people for help when I'm unsure about how to do something. Ultimately I just need to learn to be comfortable with getting out of my comfort zone.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny because while I tend to be a very reserved person, too, but when I've gone abroad to places where I clearly stand out (especially Kenya and India) I haven't had much trouble reaching out more: introducing myself to people, asking for help when I need it, and trying new things.

    As far as your purposes for going abroad, I really appreciated the advice I got from a good friend when she had just returned from her field study, and I was about to go to India for the first time. She said to try my best to be prepared, but to not expect too much of myself either. This was great for me to keep in mind whenever I didn't feel like I was accomplishing as much in the field as I had hoped to. It was a good reminder that far more valuable than I was going to accomplish that one summer were the things I was learning and the skills I was developing that would enable me to do better things in the world for the rest of my life. You might not make an earth-shattering medicinal discovery this summer ... but who knows what you might be able to do down the road? It's exciting to think about!

    ReplyDelete