Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Geography

In class on Friday we talked about the importance of the history of the Tonga Field Study Program. It started only a few years ago and has been very small. Initially students focused on art like weaving or painting. In the last couple of years, however, it has expanded. The students have become increasingly independent and their projects have become more varied. Now there are kids studying plants, health education, and family psychology. More and more students have the opportunity to study things that are relevant to their majors.

Tonga is made up of 176 islands, 52 of which are inhabited. The islands are divided into three main groups: Tongatapu (the main island), Vava'u, and Ha'apai. The nation has a monarchy, with a huge celebration for the king's birthday during the summer.

As I find more out about Tonga, I'm more thrilled to be going there, but also kind of anxious. I don't know if I'll be able to eat their food for three months, let alone shower with a bucket of water. But then I remember that I get to meet some of the most friendly people in the world while learning about plants and medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment