Tuesday, January 10, 2012

11 January 2012

This blog is for my Field Study Preparation class. We are required to organize and complete an "Online Learning Journal." I'm excited to document every planning step of this lengthy and detailed process and I know it will help me in the field and afterwards. I'm getting ready to go on a 90 day trip to the nation of Tonga! Because one of my majors at BYU is environmental science, I'm hoping to have the opportunity to study traditional herbal medical practices in Tonga, or almost anything related to plants and the outdoors.

In class on Monday, we talked about how some students do not get the most out of their experiences abroad. They are focused on themselves, not the native people. It was mentioned that a lot of American students who travel want to add the experience to their list of exciting accomplishments. I admit, I have this idea that I'll go to Tonga and learn how to spear fish, play the ukelele, and prove my independence. But our class discussion helped me to see otherwise. My goal is not to better myself, but my education of other places. It was brought to my attention (especially during the Rafa Rafa game) how important it is to observe, understand, and even participate in others' cultures. If we deny ourselves this experience, we remain locked into what we believe to be "normal" or "right." I refuse to be confined to these parameters.

In the future I hope to bring to others--and more importantly, my kids--all the lessons I learn abroad. If I can teach others not only the importance of the cultures, but the excitement, my field study can be considered successful.

I cannot wait to be in Tonga!

No comments:

Post a Comment