Thursday, September 6, 2012

Post Field 1

I wrote this for the post field writing class that I'm taking this Fall. I'll probably put some up every now and then because I think they help to clarify my experience, both myself and for you guys.


I know I have changed as a result of my experience because of the new and different way I look at the people around me. I think I recognize that everyone always has something they can teach me because of the different experiences they have had. It is not my education or even my accomplishments that make me what I am, but the way I leave from day to day. I remember writing in my journal that I felt like I was learning some new truth nearly everyday; things about my own life became clearer to me. For example, with so much free time to fill, I was forced to retrieve the discipline that I knew was in me, but never had to seek out because of the routines that are almost always placed for me by someone or something else.
The lessons from my experience I never want to forget are first that I need to remember how many people there are in the world. I think I get trapped in the small world of Provo and classes and papers and forget how many people there are who struggle to survive. In Tonga I became familiar with this struggle, and although the people there were confident in their lifestyle, it was obvious that they were lacking. I was initially shocked to have the blinders I have worn for so long ripped off. This shock is what pushed me to serve and consequently to love the people of Tonga with all my heart. I learned to observe people in a way that is nearly impossible to do here because I could not understand the language. Body language and minute gestures or sounds became signals that I had to pay attention to. I learned how to look for things that I can write about in my journal, and because of this, I learned to strive for at least one new experience each day.
I wish I could explain to my family and friends the way I felt there. The way I felt at church meetings with the most ambitious singers in the South Pacific. The way I felt when people around the village began to shout greetings at us as we walked past. And most importantly I want people to understand the way I felt when the idea that the small island of Vava’u was now my home. I was beginning to have a completely isolated life there. When I called my family or emailed my friends, I almost didn’t know what to say or talk about because the things that were going on in my life had become ordinary. Some of these things have also become so common place to me that I am almost surprised when people don’t know what a ta’ovala is. I’m afraid that the only way I can get people to understand the Tongan lifestyle is to buy them a plane ticket there. I want to convey the patience of the mothers with their children, the excitement of a single scoop ice cream cone, the amazement felt when someone offers you an Indian apple.
Now that I am home, the thing I want to do with this experience is to let everyone know how special the people of Tonga are. Their kingdom is small, but they have huge personalities and generally believe that they are the center of the world. The trip may not have changed me in any drastic way, but I feel more confident and more aware of myself and of others. I do not want to forget this experience, or even pretend it hasn’t happened because it seems so far away. I want everyday to be fresh in my mind, to remember the lessons I have learned, and to persuade others to take notice of the other people of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment