Sunday, July 8, 2012

9 July 2012

Yes, I'm still here.
Tonga is amazing. Recently I've been thinking about how much like babies Victoria and I are. We don't understand the language, our host parents are relatively strict, we can't really feed ourselves, etc. But of course we're learning as fast as we can. I just wish sometimes that the people here had more patience with how slow we are to understand. But more and more I have been feeling comfortable here. We know a good amount of people on the island because it is so small, and even if we don't know them, they probably know us because we're white and have been on the island for a good amount of time.
I think just a few weeks ago, the idea that "This is my life now" finally clicked for me. I've gotten used to riding in a beat up van with the steering wheel on the wrong side and four kids jumping up and down on my lap. The music is always blaring, the windows are always open, someones constantly dancing and laughing, and the scenery is amazing. I could probably spend a lot more time here and be perfectly content. The only unfortunate thing is that the people I love most in the world are not here to share it with me. But it just feels like I moved to a new place--it was hard to adjust at first, but now that I have, I'm perfectly happy. I have found myself worried that I'll miss this place very dearly, and consequently deciding that I will certainly return in the future.
This week we went to a feast nearly everyday because it is the Saineha alumni reunion. Saineha is the local LDS high school, I'm not sure if I already mentioned that or not. Anyway, we performed our two dances again for the governor this time. The governor's wife put a pa'anga on both Victoria and me, which is apparently very exciting. We also went to lot of dances, which have become more fun because of the people we know. There were parades and lots of money and candy thrown everywhere.
Today marked the end of teh two week break for schools however, so we are going back to our old schedule of school in the mornings and busying ourselves with our projects in the afternoons. It's kind of sad, but I think the weeks should pass quickly enough.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I'm happy to hear that things are going well. When you come home we'll have to talk more about it in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true about feeling like a baby - in my field site I have had the same feelings of helplessness and dependency. It has given me a whole new perspective on how immigrants must feel in the united states, and without a host family to teach them the ropes!

    ReplyDelete