Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Culture Shock

On Monday we read about and discussed the possibilities of culture shock. This symptom can be manifested in so many different ways. However, there is a general guideline that they all follow. Initially, the person entering a new country experiences the honeymoon phase. They are excited to be somewhere new and may not yet understand the culture or the people very well. They are also thrilled by the new foods or ways of life that they encounter. I think that when I go to Tonga, I'll definitely be in this mood for a while. I'm really excited to meet the people there and to see how they deal with everyday life. I also want to sample the food and social events.

The second phase of culture shock comes in the form of irritation or anxiety. The person visiting eventually realizes that the new place they're in is not at all like the place they came from. They think that the new culture's lifestyle is dumb or slow or repetitive or naive. I think that this is a sort of desperate loneliness that comes out as frustration with surroundings. The environment of a field study can easily become stressful, so I think this phase of the culture shock is very likely to occur. I may become annoyed with interviewing people or having to spend time with my host family. I have to remember that my time on the islands is not a vacation, but is a place for me to learn more about myself and about other people. With this in mind, I can minimize the irritation that will inevitable arise.

The third phase of culture shock is a gradual adjustment to the new society. We get over our feelings of resentment toward the people or culture and instead find ways to enjoy it to the fullest. I want to be able to spend my days learning about what the Tongan people do and how they do it, regardless of whether or not I find it to be a waste of time. I think that learning how to do new things will keep me busy and focused, so that I do not get frustrated any further. With luck and perseverance, my adjustment to society will come quickly and easily.

The last phase of culture shock (and oftentimes the most uncommon) is biculturalism. The person visiting has completely accepted the culture of the visited. They understand why certain things are done or why they aren't done. They do not judge certain actions, but instead embrace them, while maintaining their own cultural identity. I do not think that I will lose sight of my cultural identity, but it is definitely helpful to understand the possible stumbling blocks that arise from cultures shock. With this in mind, I can meet them head on and effectively deal with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment